Sleeping Bunny

Keller, Emily Snowell. Sleeping Bunny. New York: Random House, 2003.

Click here to learn more about Sleeping Bunny.

This is a retelling of the Grimms’ version, the obvious difference being that the main character is a bunny. I might have even disliked the book because the story itself is not that creative, were it not for the fact that I absolutely ADORE the illustrations. I encourage you to click on the link provided above and explore the sight so that you can see for yourself; I know I would have loved this book as a child and I think lots of children, especially girls, will love it too! I think it is cute how all of the good fairies are pigs, while Mildew, the wicked fairy, is a rat. The illustrations show her to be the one spinning in the tower the day the spell takes effect. Interestingly, this version has a slightly more realistic outcome: “Princess Bunny and her Prince grew to truly love each other and eventually decided to marry” (the key word being “eventually,” whereas in many versions the love and marriage are immediate). And of course, they live “hoppily ever after.”

No comments: